Keratosis pilaris is a genetic skin condition that is characterized by the appearance of small red bumps on light skin and brown bumps on dark skin.
It can appear on any part of the skin, except the sole of the feet and the palm of the hand. It usually appears on the upper arm, face, and thigh. When it occurs in the face, it can be misdiagnosed as acne.
In this article, we shall look at the benefits of coconut oil for keratosis pilaris and how to use coconut oil to treat keratosis pilaris.
Keratosis pilaris also called chicken skin is caused when the human body secretes keratin in excess amount than the body needs. Keratin is the protein responsible for people skin tone and protects the skin from other infections. When excess keratin is secreted by the body, it forms a plug that blocks the skin follicles. Though scientists are still working on what cause or trigger the body to produced excess keratin.
Steps to take to reduce the effect of Keratosis Pilaris
Keratosis pilaris cannot be prevented, but there are steps you can take to reduce the effect of keratosis pilaris in the body.
- Don’t scratch the burns or rub your skin forcefully.
- Use lukewarm water to bath instead of hot water.
- Reduce the amount of water in contact with your skin.
- Use moisturizers that are rich in nutrients on your skin regularly.
How to treat Keratosis pilaris
There is no cure for keratosis pilaris, but using moisturizers that are rich in nutrients on your skin can make you look better. There are over the counter drugs and creams that you can also to reduce keratosis pilaris.
Powerful exfoliants like alpha hydroxyl acid, salicylic acid, urea, and lactic acid can be used to remove the dead skin cell from the skin surface. The use of exfoliant is not suitable for children as it can cause redness and swelling of the skin.
Topical retinoid can be use open the skin pore thereby exfoliating excess keratin that blocked the skin pores. Topical vitamin A is not suitable for people who are a pregnant and breastfeeding mother.
Laser Treatment is used when you direct laser on the skin bumps, this treatment is used when the other treatment is not working. Laser treatment helps to reduce the redness and reduce the bumps.
DIY Coconut Oil for keratosis pilaris
Coconut oil is a miracle essential oil that can be used for cooking, skin care, and hair care. The oil is rich in Medium Chain Fatty Acid (MCFA) that when used on the skin nourish and moisturize the skin.
Coconut oil is easily absorbed by the skin and is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which can be used for keratosis pilaris to reduce the redness and inflamed bump.
There are several recipes that you can prepare at home for keratosis pilaris, but in this post, we are going to look at two amazing recipes that are easy to produce and filled with nutrients that your skin needs.
Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub for Exfoliating Skin
- ½ cup of sugar
- 5 to 7 drops of lavender essential oil
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- Pour ½ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Mix them together using a spoon until it forms a slightly coarse texture.
- Add lavender essential oil to the bowl and mix it again thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store it in a refrigerator when not in use.
- To use, scrub 1 tablespoon of the recipe on your body.
- Repeat this process every day until there is an improvement in your skin surface.
Coconut Oil Body Cream
- 1/10 part of shea butter
- 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Few drops of tea tree oil
- Pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend it together for few minutes until it turns into a smooth cream.
- Apply the cream to your body daily.
- Repeat the process every day or you can replace your cream with this homemade cream.
Coconut oil and Apple cider vinegar body lotion
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- A little bit of honey
- Pour all the ingredients into a large bowl, and stir it together until it turns into a smooth body lotion.
- Apply the lotion to your body daily and repeat the process every day.