For many teen and adult, acne is the skin condition affecting them all. The skin condition is characterized by redness, swelling, pain, and scarring of the skin.
There are several ways that you can treat acne at home without spending a huge sum of money. One of them is yogurt.
Yogurt is made from the milk of cows, sheep, goats, or water buffalo. It is consumed raw in different part of the world and its used in producing sauce and soap.
Yogurt when can be used to treat acne because of the high lactic acid content, which is also responsible for its sour taste.
Why Yogurt Works For Acne?
Yogurt is rich in vitamin and nutrient that your skin needs, not only can use you it to treat acne, you can also use it to exfoliate skin and fade dark spot.
Yogurt face mask can be used on any type of skin especially people with dry skin, acne-prone skin, and oily skin. You can also use it on sensitive skin; test it on a small patch of skin to check if your skin reacts to it. If there are redness and swelling please do not use it again. You can consult your doctor before using yogurt on your face especially if you have sensitive skin.
There are some many reasons why yogurt can be used to treat acne and control oil or sebum:
- Lactic acid is rich in alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) which helps to exfoliate the skin by removing the dead skin cell from the body. The dead skin cell if not remove from the skin pores would block the skin pores leading to acne breakout.
- Plain yogurt has a low amount of acid and can be used to fade dark spot and acne scar from your skin. It can also be used on inflamed skin to relieve redness and swelling due to the presence of anti-inflammatory properties.
- Yogurt is rich with antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and when used on skin filled with acne, it kills the bacteria Propionibacterium causing acne.
- Yogurt is rich in antioxidant that helps to fight off free radicals from the body. The free radicals are responsible for the aging of skin, wrinkles, and blemishes appearing on the skin surface, and fine line.
Yogurt Face Mask That You Should Try Out
There are different ways that you can use yogurt as a face mask, these simple homemade recipe can be prepared at home without any side effect at all.
Remember to buy plain yogurt because other variants of yogurt can cause harm to sensitive skin.
Yogurt and Honey Face Mask For Acne
Yogurt alone is effective to treat acne but when you add honey to it, you have produced a powerful face mask against acne.
Honey is filled with antimicrobial properties would kill the acne causing bacteria Propionibacterium while yogurt would exfoliate your skin pores, removing all the foreign material that block your skin pores.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 2 teaspoons of raw honey together, stir it together.
- Wash your face with water and pat your skin dry using a soft towel.
- Apply the face mask to your face; use your finger to massage the face mask on your face.
- Leave the face mask on your face for 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel and apply water based face moisturizer to moisturize your face.
Yogurt and Lemon Juice Face Mask for Acne
Yogurt and lemon juice can be used to treat acne, lemon helps to control the sebaceous from producing excess sebum and also get rid of foreign material from the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and ½ teaspoon of freshly squeeze lemon juice together and stir it together.
- Wash your face with water and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Allow the face mask to stay on your face for 10 to 20 minutes before washing it off with water.
- Pat your face dry with a towel and if your face is too dry you can apply water based moisturizer or other essential oil like olive oil.
Yogurt and Egg White Face Mask for Acne
Egg white has been used since ancient time to treat acne, fade dark spot, and remove wrinkles and fine line from the skin. it is one of the most simple homemade recipes that you can try at home and see the result for yourself.
- Use a knife to crack the shell of the egg and separate the yolk from the white. Collect the egg white and discard the yolk, the egg white is the ingredient that you need
- Gently beat the egg white until it turns frosty and add 1 tablespoon of yogurt, gently stir it together.
- Wash your face with warm water as this allow the skin pores to be open and pat it dry using a soft towel.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture on your skin and avoid sensitive area around your mouth and eyes.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 20 minutes so that the face mask would be dried already.
- Washing it off with warm water and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a water-based face moisturizer if you want.
You can also use plain yogurt on your face alone to treat acne, it is rich with alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates your skin removing dead skin cell from the skin pores and also kill the bacteria Propionibacterium causing acne.
- Wash your face with water to remove dirt and makeup and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to your hand and apply it on your face.
- Use your fingertip to massage the face mask on your face.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 20 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel and apply water based moisturizer on your face.
If you are allergic to yogurt or other ingredients listed above, please test the face mask on a small patch of skin before applying it to your face. This is to check if you are allergic or not.
If there are redness and swelling please consults your doctor before using the face mask on your face.
Have you use yogurt to treat acne before? What are the ingredients you add to yogurt to prepare your face mask? Share with us your experience in the comment below!